Remember when I announced I was using the Hanson Method for my third marathon? I was soooo confident that I’d stay on top of strength training.
Yeah, that wasn’t happening.
It’s not that I don’t have the time or energy to strength train in addition to the runs. Truthfully, most days I could swing a quick workout right after the run or something after dinner. I was just …. bored. I’ve been working out with the same DVD’s for two years now. I think I’ve purchased one new one in 6 months (if that!) I love working out from home because it saves me so much time and money, but it wasn’t working for me anymore since I was never motivated to workout!
After one sweat filled hour I was hooked. It was AWESOME. Honestly, I’d probably have decided to go with T25 if I wasn’t in the middle of marathon training but I know that PiYo is exactly what my body needs. While I know PiYo is all over the internets right now I’m sure some of you aren’t familiar with it so here’s the quick & dirty version:
- PiYo is a low-impact, high-intensity body-transformation program that uses the most effective Pilates- and yoga-inspired moves to sculpt long, lean muscles and burn fat.
- It’s low-impact so you won’t have to jump around or strain your joints.
- It’s high-intensity so you get the fat-burning results of a more extreme program.
- It’s designed to help you get an intensely defined, long and lean physique
- NO weights & no equipment of any kind needed!
It’s an authentic, incredibly effective body-transformation program that combines Pilates- and yoga-inspired moves, all set to a faster pace, so you get your strength, flexibility, and cardio all in each workout. PiYo delivers the long, lean muscles and flat, toned abs of Pilates, a firm butt and strong arms like you’d get from yoga, and the weight-loss benefits of fat-burning cardio. The workouts take just 25–45 minutes each!
Um – yes please! PiYo is perfect for me right now since it will still help me strength and tone my muscles but also actively stretch and lengthen them. Tight, shortened muscles lead to major injuries for runners (and have been the cause of almost every injury I’ve had.) Plus, the best shape I was in came from doing Pilates/barre workouts regularly and I miss that!
In addition to getting the PiYo program I got a month of Shakeology. Kat gave me some to try in Savannah and I loved it. Loads of non-jittery energy, great tasting, and it kept me full for hours. I’m not trying to lose weight per say but I have been SO bad about my eating recently. Last week my stomach was in knots and I could hardly eat anything, this week all I’ve wanted was CARBS and I can’t even remember the last time I ate a vegetable (I know it’s so bad!) While Shakeology won’t fix all that I feel like it will be easy on my stomach and just knowing I’m adding one superfood-filled high protein meal or snack into my day will help keep me on track with the rest of my meals. So, what’s in it? Everything. Literally, everything.
- Plant based protein: Chia, flax, Quinoa, Amaranth, Rice, Pea & Oat. Helps build lean muscles, improves skin and hair, supports mental clarity and reduces cravings*
- Super-fruit/Antioxidants: Camu-camu, Acai, Acerola Cherry, Bilberry, Goji berry, Green Tea, Luo Han Guo, Pomegranate, Rose Hips. Provides antioxidant support and helps promote a healthy heart and optimal blood pressure*
- Super-green/Phytonutrients: Moringa, Chlorella, Spirulina, Spinach, Kale. Helps alkalinize the body and promote detoxification for health and vitality*
- Adaptogen Blend: Ashwagandha, Astragalus, Cordyceps, Ginkgo, Maca, Maitake, Reishi, Schisandra, Holy Basil. Helps protect the body from stress, support the immune system, and balance the endocrine system*
- Pre and Probiotics/Digestive Blend: Yacon root, Agave, Lactobacillus Sporogenes, Amylase, Cellulase, Lactase, Lipase, Protease, Bromelian, Papain. Helps increase nutrient absorption, promotes regularity, and improves digestion*
I can’t lie – it’s expensive. However, I decided to go ahead and purchase it because I literally ran out of my multivitamin and probiotics this week and just ate my last protein bar. This shake will replace all of that! Also, they are having a super sale on the combo PiYo + 30 days of Shakeology where you can get BOTH for $10 more than just the Shakeology alone. Win-Win.
I’m so pumped about doing this that I went ahead and took the plunge and signed up to be a coach. I’ve been talking with Kat about it a lot since Fitbloggin and I think it’s a perfect fit for me. I’ve had quite a few people email me asking if I do any sort of online or personal coaching. Now, I’m going to start doing regular challenge groups that will allow me to do just that!
I’m going to kick off my very first 21 Day Challenge focusing on the PiYo program on August 11th. If you are interested in joining just send me an email to Erica@EricaDHouse.com. I’ve already spent so much time putting together a plan on how to help encourage and motivate those who sign up I can’t wait to get it started! Today is the last day to get the super sale on the combo pack but it only goes up $20 after so if you want to wait a few days to sign up. You can also join the challenge with just buying the DVD’s so if Shakeology isn’t your thing that’s okay! The one thing you’ll get no matter what is ME here for YOU to help keep you on track and talk to you anytime you have any questions or just need some moral support.
That’s it. I hope some of you will decide to join me as I really need group support to help keep me accountable and I’m looking forward to helping others reach their health and fitness goals. Accountability + Support will help you accomplish any goal in life!
What’s the last new fitness program you tried?
What’s the hardest part of sticking to your health/fitness goals?