Bicycle Accident

May 27th, 2012 | Posted by Erica House in Life

When I was a Freshmen in High School (specifically 2 weeks after I got my braces off) I was in a bicycle accident that claimed my two front teeth and tore a significant portion of my top lip off. It was right before finals in December and I remember calling my boyfriend at the time from the ER to tell him what happened. He started singing, “All I want for Christmas is my 2 front teeth.”

I dumped him.

I had 4 or 5 minor reconstructive surgeries on my lip in school and have had bonding on my front teeth since then (still to poor for ‘real’ fakes). As such I’m now particularly careful about protecting my face and it took me years to get on a bicycle.

Within the last few months Matt and I have started biking on a weekly basis. With the horrific humidity in Florida it is one of the few outdoor activities that remain bearable during the summer months.  We headed out around 7 a.m. today toward the Historic North Hill Neighborhood. I realize I’m making a weird face in the following photo but it’s actually quite difficult to not look like your either (1) in pain or (2) constipated while bike riding.

We stopped and laughed at a house that got Toiled Papered.

Decided to head downtown to bike around Palafox for a bit.

When these happened:

I’m not sure if I just wasn’t paying enough attention but my front tire was quickly sucked into one of the tracks and before I knew it everything was in slow motion and I was trying to figure out the best way to fall. When I got into my original accident I remember getting up immediately and walking around trying to find my teeth. I was absolutely delirious from blood loss but the adrenaline allowed me to remain conscious. This time I was actually close to blacking out even though my injuries weren’t nearly as bad. I was able to put my hands down to stop my face from making impact but I tore up the palm of one hand and the thumb of another (warning: bloody image ahead!)

Clearly we didn’t see this sign until it was to late. Or, I took it to literally. Either way – the irony underwhelmed me at the moment.

(For those who can’t read it the sign says “STOP DISMOUNT”)

I had to lay on the ground for about 10 minutes before I felt I could breathe again. Poor Matt had to ride the rest of the way home at ridiculous speeds to get the car and come back to fetch me. This was our first mini ‘crisis’ together and I think we handled it wonderfully. He tried to lighten the mood a bit with some jokes while I was coming in and out of consciousness and I tried not to punch him for it.

The worst part of the fall was my ankle. As I hit the ground I knew my legs were caught up in the bike and there was a very real chance I would sprain/break my ankle. While my thumb initially felt the worst as my ankle has started to swell I’m realizing this will be the most lasting injury and the one which will prevent me from working out anytime soon. I’ve got it elevated with some ice on it now but if anyone has any suggestions for other ways to minimize future swelling/pain I would greatly apprecaite it!

Hope everyone else has a safer and less bloody Memorial Day!

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 You can leave a response, or trackback.

6 Responses

Leave a Reply