I am so proud to announce that as of last week I am a certified Intuitive Eating Counselor! The program is based on the bestselling book Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch. You can go directly to the book on Amazon here.
I purchased it a few months ago and remember the exact moment I realized I wanted to become a Counselor in the program. I was reading the book in our break room at work on my lunch break and got to a segment where they were discussing exercising as a means to alleviate guilt from 'bad' eating. While many points in the book affected me profoundly this brought tears to my eyes and I felt compelled to learn as much as I can about their program so I could help other's who may have a negative emotional relationship with food. You'll hear me refer to the program often and I look forward to writing many posts about their principles and advice for how to live a fulfilling and happy life that does not revolve around a calorie counter! Their program does not focus on weight loss but many clients do experience a shift back to their 'natural' weight once they've completed the program. To find out if you are a good candidate for weight loss the authors present the following questions:
- Have you routinely eaten beyond your comfortable fullness level?
- Do you overeat when you're getting ready for your next diet (knowing there will be a lot of foods you won't be allowed to eat)?
- Do you overeat as a coping mechanism in difficult times or to fill up time when you're bored?
- Have you been resistant to exercise?
- Do you skip meals or wait to eat until you're ravenously hungry?
- Do you feel guilty when you overeat or eat a 'bad food'?
If you answered yes to some or all of these questions (and who wouldn't!) then you would be a good canidate for weight loss. If you've ever felt guilty for eating, forced yourself not to eat even if your hungry or have a negative body image due to food than the program could help you.
Food shouldn't make you feel good or bad.
It is only nourishment for your body.