I cringe every time I hear the word 'detox' yet I've been using it often lately! I think it's gotten a bad reputation due to extreme 'detox' diets which I would never, ever advocate. However, I do acknowledge that some food items have inherent detoxifying properties about them that are wonderful for supercharging your digestive system and keeping you performing and optimal health levels. When I created this smoothie recipe I tried to incorporate some of my favorite detoxifying foods:
- Cranberry Juice: Helps clear out toxins from the kidneys, lymphatic system and intestines.
- Lemon Juice: Assists in breaking down foods in your stomach, making your liver work more efficiently.
- Ginger: Helps to break down proteins, reduce intestinal discomfort and boosts metabolism.
- Chia Seeds: Not so much detoxifying, but so energizing! Great source of Omega 3's, fiber, and contains more antioxidants than blueberries! They will also absorb about 10x their weight in water so they help keep you hydrated and feeling full for much longer.
The recipe was inspired by one sent to me by Ocean Spray. I've never used juice in a smoothie before - I usually go with Almond milk or water. I actually rarely drink juice because of the ridiculous amounts of sugar (and therefore, calories!) in most juices. I tried Diet Cranberry juice before, and love it, so I'm not sure why it took me so long to think of using it in a smoothie! I love that it added a lot of sweetness and flavor to the recipe for only 5 calories. I'll actually be making smoothies more often now that I can cut back on the fruit in them, and just load them up with veggies and Diet Cranberry juice!
Detoxifying and Energizing Berry Green Smoothie Recipe:
- 1 cup Ocean Spray Diet Cranberry Juice
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 T. chia seeds
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated ginger (I grate mine directly into the blender before mixing)
I can honestly say I've never inhaled a smoothie quicker than I did this one. With such a low calorie count I don't mind doubling the recipe next time! Salem loves to smell new things and his little nose perked up as soon as I started making this.
Now this next part is completely unaffiliated with Ocean Spray and DailyBuzz. I just really, really love chia seeds and thought this would be a wonderful time to give some away!
How To Enter:
Leave A Separate Comment for Each Entry (Total of 2 chances to win per person)
1. Leave a comment telling me which Ocean Spray Diet juice you'd like to try in a smoothie.
2. Follow me on facebook (or leave a comment letting me know you already do!
Contest closes at Midnight (Central Time) on Thursday, March 7th. I will post the results on my website on Friday. PLEASE be sure to check back to see if you are a winner!
Raymond! Please email me your address ASAP and I can get the Chia Seeds out to you right away!
I have partnered with Ocean Spray through DailyBuzz to help promote their new Ocean Spray Diet product. I have been compensated for my time commitment to work with this product, however my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.