A few weeks ago I started hearing about a new variation on oatmeal called zoats. I am a die hard oatmeal fan so I had to look into zoats to see what the heck they were. Zucchini Oatmeal. Zoats.
Now, I must confess it didn't immediately sound too appetizing. Had you asked me a few years ago if egg white in my oatmeal sounded like a good idea I would have been equally unenthusiastic about the idea. However, I tried it, and egg white oatmeal became one of my top three blog posts of all time. The egg whites made the oatmeal extra fluffy and filling and became one of my favorite healthy breakfasts. So, last week I started experimenting with zoats and finally found a version I love!
[Tweet "The Next Breakfast Trend: ZOATS! Filling and Healthy Zucchini Oatmeal."]
Zucchini Oatmeal "Zoats" Ingredients
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
- 1 and 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1/4 cup PB2
- 1/4 cup grated zucchini
- Stevia to taste
- Mix the oatmeal, almond milk and grated zucchini in a bowl. Microwave for 90 seconds.
- Add 1/4 cup of egg whites and microwave for another 45 seconds. Take out and fluff with a fork.
- Microwave another 45 seconds.
- Stir in PB2 and stevia. Enjoy!
Nutrition: 320 calories. 41 carbs // 9 fat // 24 protein
I love this microplane I got off of Amazon years ago. It get the zucchini grated into teeny tiny pieces that pretty much dissolve in the oatmeal, but add a lot of bulk and fiber.
Are you going to give Zoats a shot? You should! If only for the fact you get to say Zoat. Go ahead, say it. Zoats. It's fun.