Matt has tried to convince me on numerous occasions that he didn't care for cauliflower growing up. Judging by the way he devours this dish whenever I make it I think he may be a liar.
I've never met a steamed veggie dish I didn't like but I sometimes make dishes Matt doesn't care much for (Exhibit A: Black Bean Brownie Fail). I was happy he enjoyed this dish because it truly is one of my favorites. I've been making it for about a year now and have modified the original recipe slightly.
Orange Scented Broccoli and Cauliflower (recipe adapted from Rachael Ray)
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 orange
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bunches of green onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a couple of inches of water to boil in a large skillet and add the florets and orange rind (save the juice!) Cover and simmer until tender. I like mine pretty tender so I'll usually have them in there for about 8 minutes.
- Once the veggies are steamed, drain completely and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the reserved orange juice, olive oil, sliced green onions and salt + pepper. Mix thoroughly and enjoy!
As made the entire dish contains approximately 300 calories.
Honestly, to say this dish is delicious would be an understatement. If cauliflower were cheaper I'd probably make it a few times a week! I've never tried using frozen veggies but I presume it would be just as tasty.
I'll leave you with a few pictures I took of Salem sitting at the window. He is so excited he can smell the fresh air again now that it's cool enough to have them open in the mornings! I love the picture of his little chicken cutlet (what we call his meaty thighs) hanging off the chair with his fuzzy toes!