Salem's sick, Travis ran a marathon, and I watched Netflix.

Yes I watched all of Season 3 of House of Cards. I wasn't a fan of the second half of Season 2. It just became very boring to me. Season 3 was spectacular. My thoughts (no spoilers); Team Blonde for sure, love the gay marriage story arch and the writer, and so so so over Doug.

Friday night we went out to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings. It was my first time there and I knew my vegetarian options would be limited but I saw they had chips & dip, cheese sticks, and mac and cheese on the menu so I was good to go! Travis loves the place and I'll definitely be going back now that I've had the world's greatest food; roasted potato wedges.

Weekend2Of course I've had potato wedges before but these were freaking amazing. Plus, dipped in ranch .... get outta here.

We came home and played board games for a while. Starting off with Life (I lost) and then this vintage Runners World Marathon game Mom got me for Christmas (I lost again.)

Weekend3Travis and I were neck and neck until the half point, then I started to get injured constantly and he won while I was at mile 17 walking. Clearly this game is way too realistic.

Saturday morning I woke up early to go grocery shopping. Travis mentioned he loved the caramel Cadburry eggs so I picked up 3 for him (and 1 regular for me.)

Weekend1He was out of town this weekend running the Little Rock Marathon. By the time he got back late Sunday night there was 1 egg left. Sorry husband. I tried. He ran the marathon solely because they give out the biggest medal in the world. It's literally about a foot big and weights over 3 pounds. Unfortunately there was some issue with the medal production this year so they didn't have the medals ready in time but will be shipping them. It was rainy and 40 degrees on race day. I had thought about going with him to do the half but I'm glad I decided to stay home!

I got back from the store and unloaded my goodies.

IMG_8358I decided to take a photo of it because it's so representative of how I eat. A lot of healthy, 'real' foods, some processed, and some junk (cadburry eggs and sherbert!) This week I'm having fruit smoothies or oatmeal for breakfast, my favorite loaded sweet potato fries for lunch, and steamed broccoli with tofu and spring rolls for dinner (had all that at home already.)

After I put everything away I walked into the laundry room to start a load and saw that there were small piles of bloody urine all over the floor (we keep our 3 liter boxes in the tiled laundry room.) There was also some diarrhea as well. Since we have 3 cats I wasn't sure who was sick, but I had a bad feeling it was Salem (my FIV+ baby.) I took a wet paper towel to his butt and it was definitely him. I panicked, since he's going to be 8 this summer and the life expectancy after contracting FIV is 5-7 years and he was born with it. I hadn't taken him to a vet locally yet so I called the highest rated one I found online that was open until noon on Saturday. They took their last appointment a few minutes before I called but recommended the emergency clinic (which I read horrible reviews about) and Banfield (which I've heard bad things about but every one is different and this clinic said they've heard nothing but good things.)

Banfield said they could get me in right away so I packed Salem up and headed out. We got there at 11:45 and I didn't leave until 1:30.

WeekendHe's had a sore on his neck for a while that looked bigger and different from the small one's he usually gets from scratching himself. The Vet was young but very nice. She was looking him over and started to talk abou the various tests she wanted to do. I expected a urine analysis and fecal (I used to work in a cat clinic) but I was surprised when she mentioned ringworm culture for his neck and that she wanted to send me home with an anti-fungal spray for the area to start treating him even though the results wouldn't come back for 2 weeks. Then she started trying to sell me on flea and heartworm medicine (for my cat that hasn't been outside in 7 years) and their 'automatic shipping program.' Okay lady - not impressed.

She worked up a treatment plan and the tech came into review it with me. Just over $500. I immediately told her to take off the $125 in flea meds and heartworm medication. Then I told her to take off the skin culture and anti-fungal spray. Ringworm is extremely contagious and none of our other cats have it (and I've had it myself!) Plus, it didn't even look like ringworm. She had on there a $60 injectable antibiotic and I asked if I could switch to a cheaper pill form if it would be much less expensive (tech said it would) but she ended up putting him on liquid Clavamox for 10 days at the same price. Don't get me wrong - money is not a concern when it comes to treating my cats (I paid $1500 in a week for his brother who passed away within a few days of treatment anyway.)

In the end the bill was about $250. They took Salem back to do the urine analysis (with a needle into his belly!), fecal, and express his anal glands. Within 10 minutes they brought him back and I was relieved at how quickly it was done! The tech said she was going to go work on the meds he needed, but came back in a few minutes after they realized they 'forgot' to give him the fecal and injectable pain medicine.


They brought him back again a few minutes later. He was miserable and growling in his carrier. They said they had "good news and bad news." Good news: my bill was going to be lower. Bad news: they weren't able to get any urine or feces despite sticking a needle in his bladder and a stick up his butt.

Are you kidding me? (Of course he went to the bathroom as soon as we got home.)

So, I left with two types of antibiotics to give him for a UTI he may or may not have, and a stomach bug. He still has blood in his urine and loose stool. It's only been 24 hours so I know I shouldn't expect him to be better by now but I hate seeing him like this. If he's not better by Tuesday morning I'm going to call the original clinic I tried Saturday.

I didn't leave the house the rest of the weekend I wanted to keep an eye on him. I know cats can't live forever, but I need at least 8 more years with this guy.