Once every few weeks I will start to feel like my body needs a 'reset' day. It may be triggered by a few days of eating more processed foods than normal, getting over a cold, or even just a string of bad days that has left me feeling emotionally blah. I typically cringe when I hear the word 'detox' (since your body was built to naturally detox itself regularly) so I like to think of this as more of a reset, recharge, and reawaken day.
Whatever you'd like to call it the end goal is the same: feel cleansed physically and mentally. As for my food suggestions they are based on my personal taste preferences so adjust accordingly. My dietary goal for the day is to eat as many fresh fruits and veggies as possible, a moderate amount of healthy fats and protein, and limit carbohydrates (just for the day!)
- Before eating breakfast have a cup of room temperature or warm water with lemon. Lemon will help flush our toxins in your body by enhancing enzyme function, stimulating your liver.
- If you feel like you want to exercise engage in some low-impact activity like walking, yoga or pilates. My body feels better moving so I will typically do which ever of those sounds more appealing when I wake up.
- Eat something light for breakfast. A cup of greek yogurt with some fresh fruit and nuts. Or this detox smoothie recipe that I created last year that would pair nicely with a couple of hard boiled eggs to get some protein in.
- If you need your caffeine jolt in the morning try to skip coffee and go with a green or black tea instead. My favorite caffeinated tea is Refreshing Mint Vital Energy Tea by Yogi. It gives me such a great burst of energy but there's no crash after.
- If possible spend some time outside on your lunch hour. A 20 minute walk or just eating your lunch outside. There's nothing more invigorating than fresh air and sun on your face!
- For lunch plan to have a salad filled with your favorite toppings. I love to do a mix of nuts, seeds, sprouts, tomatoes and dried fruit with a light balsamic dressing. I'll also have a sliced apple or pear on the side. If you need salad ideas I have a whole Pinterest board dedicated to them!
- In addition to hydrating all day with water you should also up your tea consumption. One of my absolute favorites is roasted dandelion root by Traditional Medicinals. Dandelion root is natural diuretic so it will help flush our your system and get some of that water weight out of you that you may be holding onto.
- For dinner focus on veggies and protein. A few cups of steamed veggies and some roasted tempeh is my 'go to' simple dinner right now. I'll add in a sweet potato if I feel I need something a bit more substantial.
- After dinner spend the rest of the night unplugged from the television, internet and cell phones. Instead try to spend some time writing, meditating, or reading.
- Before bed take an epsom salt bath. Epsom salts will draw out toxins from your skin and I always have the best sleep after a salt bath! I have a great recipe for an aromatherapy muscle soak that I love to use on my reset days.
Some other ideas for Detox Days:
- Pamper yourself with an at home manicure/pedicure
- While soaking in the tub use a clay facial mask (My favorite is D:tox by Giovanni)
- I will burn a few drops of lavender essential oil in an oil diffuser at my house, and add a few drops to a bit of lotion to give myself a massage
How do you Reset/Recharge?