Coming off a 3 day juice cleanse it probably wasn’t the brightest idea for me to go for a long run Saturday morning. I was aiming for 18 miles but ‘only’ did 16 after hitting the wall around mile 13. I had a very hilly course planned out (trying to get ready for marathon #2!) and I ended up cutting the course toward the end to go back to my car when I realized it just wasn’t going to happen for me. I still feel good that I ran 13 miles at marathon pace (10:15) but I’m not going to feel satisfied until I hit those 18 miles. Hopefully this weekend!
Before I even got to my car my legs were throbbing so I knew an ice bath was in order. I suffered through it for about 10 minutes while drinking some the juice from my cleanse (and I’ll be sharing a video with my thoughts on the cleanse this Thursday!) I think the ice bath, foam rolling, and compression socks helped because I woke up Sunday without any residual pain.
That afternoon I finished up Happy Belly that I received last week to review. I was thoroughly impressed with it. The description of the book on Amazon really sums it up best:
Using the wisdom of Ayurveda, mindfulness and psychology, Nadya Andreeva created the Happy Belly guide which is designed to help women heal their digestive issues, find foods that address their body’s unique needs and change habits that are destructive to the body.
Happy belly is jam-packed with practical living and eating tips, journaling exercises, and ancient knowledge of Ayurveda that will help you create a personalized approach to food based on combing outer and inner wisdom.
I read it before going grocery shopping for the week and it absolutely inspired me to focus on eating primarily whole foods. I got rid of my chronic IBS years ago by cutting out most dairy but I still have lingering digestive issues. Now, I’m going to ask myself one simple question before I eat something; “Where can I find this in nature?” If I don’t know, then I’ll need to think carefully before eating it! So, even things like yogurt and ‘clean’ bars will be reduced and I’m going to try to make 80% of my diet simple, one ingredient foods. The other 20% will be chocolate, chips, and PB2.
I did a pretty good job of sticking to my plan! Going grocery shopping after a long run means some treats sneak in.
I spent about an hour that afternoon listening to the Norah Jones station on Spotify (that randomly started playing Christmas music and I was so okay with that) and cutting up my veggies. I’m only roasting 2-3 days worth at a time since roasted veggies tend to get soggy after being in the fridge for a while.
I roasted the carrots, parsnips, brussel sprouts and asparagus in coconut oil. The acorn squash and sweet potatoes I roasted plain, but added some cardamom to the potatoes after. I’ve started putting peanut butter on the squash and potatoes. So good.
While working on photos for upcoming posts Sunday I took a few shots with Salem. I haven’t been using my nice camera as much anymore so I need to remember to take a few of me and the little guy every once in a while. Even if he clearly is not interested in that.
I don’t mean to be a tease but I have such an awesome week of posts lined up! I was uber productive this weekend and spent most of the day Sunday taking pictures, shooting a video, and writing up posts for the next few days. I think the juice cleanse helped reinvigorate me a bit, as well as deciding not to go out this weekend. I’ve been out and busy almost every weekend for the past month and it felt great to just get chores done at home. I also watched Gone with the Wind for the first time (I know, I’m like 70 years late.) Aside from the blatant racism I loved it. Definitely not what I was expecting! I always thought it was some period piece romance. I was actually kind of pissed by the ending. I did love how badass they made Southern women out to be. I need to get a pistol. Every time I hear a loud noise now I yell to Salem, “the Yankees are coming!”
What classic film has the entire world seen but you?
Can you believe it’s already March? What are your goals for this month?