So something strange happened when I shared a video of my new studio apartment.
People watched it. A lot. 20,000 times actually! I think a lot of those people were searching for more info on what life is like living in a studio, and how to decorate it. I know I spent a ton of time looking at places online trying to decide if I could stand living in a studio or not. After a while people started asking me for an update. At first I couldn’t think of anything I could update with since my place still looks the same, then I realized I have learned so much from living here for 6 months!
Overall, I still love it. I’m 100% happy with my decision to move into a studio. There have been a few unexpected events since moving in that I thought it would be nice to share so others thinking of downsizing to a studio may be better prepared!
– Entire house can be cleaned in 10 minutes
– Super cheap
– Forced minimalism. I thought it felt great to get rid of half the stuff I owned before I moved. I didn’t quite realize that as long as I live in a studio whenever I buy anything new – even something small like a DVD – it usually means I have to get rid of something else. I actually like this!
– Zero sound protection if you have noisy neighbors (no walls to absorb the sound or to hide from loud parts of the house!)
– Can be hard to sleep in since you have no isolated ‘sleep’ area. For the first few weeks I’d wake up in the middle of the night and it would take me forever to fall back asleep because I’d basically be waking up in the middle of my house and it was super distracting.
– If you see a bug there is no where to run and hide
– Salem misses more space to run and play
Do you think you could stand living in 490 sq ft?