I remember a time (in the not so distant past) when I hated vegetables. They were boring, tasted like crap, and I honestly didn’t even know how to prepare them correctly. With everyone all gung-ho about eating healthy for the new year I’m trying to find some of my favorite vegetable side dishes to share. One of my best eating healthy tips: whenever I make dinner I’ll always fill at least half of my plate up with veggies to eat first.
Vegetable Medley (adapted from original here)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tb. Olive Oil
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, diced or sliced (whatever you prefer)
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 lb bag of carrots, diced
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- Steam green beans and carrots in a large pot with 1″ of boiling water. Cover, and cook until tender. Drain.
- Melt oil in a large skillet and sautee onion and mushrooms until almost tender. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in the steamed veggies and seasonings. Cook for a few more minutes to heat through.
Be careful with the seasonings – I tend to add to much if I don’t measure it correctly and it can be pretty salty. I’d suggest adding as little as you think necessary at first then add more if you need to. I really love this dish because it’s so healthy, just look at all those colors! It makes a good amount, I’d say maybe 5 cups? I have about a cup at a time with dinner so it lasts me for an entire week.
What are your favorite vegetable side dishes? I’d love to find some new ones!